1. Your mother has/had a short-haired, curly perm.
Yes... although straight hair makes her look younger, I have no idea why she perms it... so do all my 'aunties'.
2. Your dad is some sort of engineer.
OMG YES... retired Civil engineer actually...
3. Your parents still tried to get you into places half-price saying you were 12 when you were really 15.
Yeah, too bad i didn't look it... i got into casinos when I was 12 though. Oh n i never wanted to lie to get cheap meals...damn i was dumb!
4. You ask your parents help on one math problem and 2 hours later they're still lecturing.
Never asked my parents about maths... They hired me tutors.
5. You have a 40 lb. bag of rice in your pantry.
Nah just one big bag n it gets emptied into a tub.
6. You shop 99 ranch.
7. Everyone thinks you're "Chinese" no matter what part of Asia your
ancestors were from.
Nope... been said i look Jap. Oh by other asians of course tho'.
8. You've had a bowl haircut at one point in your life.
Since I was born till I was about grade 4? Yes and my mum cut my hair.
9. Your parents enjoy comparing you to their friends' kids.
10. You've had to sit through karaoke videos with scantily clad, ugly Asian women attempting to dance and walk around a temple, forest, or library.
What? I used to sing to them! We had karaoke when it first came out... n were on LD's! Laser discs
11. Your parents say, "Don't forget your heritage."
Nah they couldn't care less... as long as I don't marry a white guy... but black would be worse!
12. You drive mostly Japanese cars.
Always been Toyota... except for one beemer.
13. You've learned to keep bargaining even if the prices are rock bottom.
Prices are never rock bottom in Asia...even if they say that they're not profiting, that's just bull shit, u can bargain another $50 at least!
14. You've had to eat parts of animals they don't even put in hot dogs.
What's in hot dogs? Errr... Don't really... except I don't mind Ox tongue... keke
15. At least once, you've started a joke with "Confucius say...."
Nope never. Don't know any... does this make me non-asian?
16. You know what bok choy is.
(YES GARLIC, THE CHOICE OF ASIA)<--- wtf??? who is this guy who answered before me? GARLIC? wat the fuck how is bok choy garlic? Its a type of CHOI/VEGIE/CAI... White cabbage... thick at the bottom with green leaves that shrivel when u cook it. usually fried WITH garlic or nothing. CHING CHAU
17. You've gotten little red envelopes around February.
(JAPANESE GET OURS IN JAN)<--- oh ok so the guy was jap... hrmph yeah well used to get red pockets... hardly anymore.
18. Piles of shoes tend to make it hard to open the front, back, and closet doors.
Yes. My dad would buy the same pair of shoes just in different colours if they fit. DOn't even ask how many pairs of shoes my mum has.
19. You hear (your name + eee (optional) + yah!) every time someone calls you (e.g. Jean - ee - yah! or Mary - yah!).
Yeah... Jackie-ah! Ah-Mui-ah!
20. You have no eyelashes.
WTF? Mine are long thank you very much. Why do asians not have eyelashes?
21. Idiot people try to impress you with pathetic imitation Asian languages, like the ever-so-popular: ching chong woo bok chi, etc...
ching chong dimsum chop chop i've prob heard... but then again do u get kung-fu fighting sounds made every time u introduce urself?
22. Your parents say leaving rice in your bowl is a sin.
No but its supposed to mean that the bits of rice left in ur bowl will be the number of pock marks (zit scars) ur partner will have when u marry or smth. So yeah not spposed to leave rice.
23. The Bio lectures on marine life (seaweed, sea cucumbers, octopii) was last night's dinner.
octopii? errr... is this an english lecture? Actually haven't had sea cucumber for awhile... but yeah its nice!
24. Your ancestors 1000 generations back invented the back scratcher.
No but my parents are grateful for that invention...
25. At least one family member wears black wire/plastic frame glasses.
huh? nah not since we were little...now its the 'rimless' ones...
26. Your parents hover over your tired, caffeine-drugged body at 12 midnight to say, "In Korea (or other native country), we studied even more."
27. Your parents expect you'll be best friends with any one off the street in any given area as long as they are Asian.
No... i always made my own friends... they didn't really care.
28. An Asian woman comes on campus and people ask: "Is that your mother?" Well then, "Is it your sister?"
No. Don't look like anyone 'cept my dad apparently...
29. Your relatives' houses smell like incense, mothballs or both.
BAK FA YAO... 'white flower oil' haha Nah used to be incense if i was in HK.
30. Your parents say, "Calculus? I took Calculus in 8th grade!"
? huh yeah well so did I... I think i started in Grade 6 actually.
31. Everyone thinks you're good at math.
Yeah I was until year 9 and had Mrs. Leong.
32. Your parents' vocabulary is filled with "ai-yahs, and Wah's."
No I prob say more than they do. My other fav one is WAH LIAO - malaysian
33. You like $1.75 movies.
Wtf? where do u get those?
34. You like $1.50 movies even more.
No idea what ur on about dear...
35. Your aunts and uncles bring you back adorable clothing from Asia with fuzzy bunnies, vinyl ducks, and English words that make no sense, in great colors like yellow, pink, magenta, orange, and the ever popular lime green.
Sometimes... usually it was shoes n stuff that wouldn't have fit me even if i was 5 years younger... damn i'm big boned for an asian! lol
36. Your parents insist you marry within your race.
Oh yeah see above somewhere... they don't insist... i think once i'm 30 they wouldn't give a rat's ass...just as long as i'm married.
37. You never order chop suey, sweet and sour pork, or any other imitation of oriental food.
Wtf IS chop suey? Umm i like sweet & sour stuff once in awhile.. but lemon chicken and honey chicken is nice... Are spring rolls imitation too?
38. You either really, really want to go to UCI or really, really want to stay away from it.
(???)<--- yeah i agree... what is UCI?
39. Your parents have never kissed you.
I hope it stays that way!
40. Your parents have never kissed each other.
Yeah never in front of us... is that strange?
41. You learned about the birds and the bees from someone other than your parents.
Sex ed at school i spose... or watching errr.. nvm
42. "You want a stereo?! When I was your age, I didn't even have shoes!!"
Yeah yeah... and some kids don't have feet or ears right?
43. People see a bunch of scribbles on a chopstick and ask you to translate.
(IT SAYS, "WATCH SILLY AMERICAN PUT RUBBER BANDS ON ENDS")<--- hahaha i love that one
44. You have to call just about all your parent's friends "Auntie and Uncle."
Yup definitely! And thank god i'm not really related to them all!
45. You have 12+ aunts and uncles. [and wayy too many seconds to count]
Yeah I guess I do... and they're named by numbers... 2nd Auntie, 3rd Auntie, 3rd Uncle, 4th Auntie etc...
46. At expensive restaurants, you order a delicious glass of water for your beverage and NEVER order dessert.
Uh huh... and always only get dessert if its free n its usually that crappy red bean soup... and slices of oranges that are moldy...
47. Your parents simply cut the green/black part off the bread and say "Eat anyway. It's still good."
Yeah been there done that!
48. The vast majority of the people related to you wear glasses. Thick glasses.
Yes unfortunately... and i'm sposed to wear glasses too... except i refuse too even if i'm gonna fuck up my eyes.
49. You are taller than your parents.
Yeah i think so...
50. Your parents have either made you play the piano, the violin, or both.
Yes. BOTH n I quit. Used to fall asleep at piano lessons... lol
51. You get nothing if you do well in school, but crapped on if you don't.
52. When going to other people's houses, you always have to bring a gift.
Yes... its rude to bring "two bunches of bananas" meaning ur bare hands.
53. Your dad still pulls his socks up to his knees, you know, the ones with the blue and pink stripes at the top
Nah... but he only wears those silky socks... and why do men always just take their socks off and leave them there?
54. Your family owns a tennis racquet, golf clubs, or both.
yeah... n my dad used to play snooker too... so we got pool cues as well. oh n prob a bowling ball somewhere...
55. Your family always cheers for the Asian athlete on TV.
Yes I guess so... remember the tennis player Michael Chang? haha
56. The furniture in your house never matches the wallpaper, the carpet, the decorations, or any of the rest of the furniture.
Actually my mum had ok taste...
57. You have rocks, sticks, leaves, and strange-smelling, unknown substances in your pantry for use as medicine. One too many trips to the Chinatown accupuncurist.
Yes... once had to look for these weird bugs for a herbal drink for my mum. *shiver*
58. You own a rice cooker or two. Well duh!
Don't white ppl have them too now?
59. You buy soy sauce by the gallon. Yaaay for Daie!
nah mum still buys bottles...
60. Your family owns butcher knives bigger than your head. These scare me.
61. Your parents tell you about how long it took for them to get to school, despite how horrible the weather was in their native country, and how much they still appreciated going.
(*PULLS HAIR OUT*)<---- lol yeah they do... had to walk until they had blisters on their feet etc.
62. Your parents buy you clothes and shoes many sizes too big so you can"grow into it" and wear it for years to come.
Nope i only got handmedowns since i was the youngest.
Oh is that all... man that was stupid... if u read all this then u're very sad... lol j'k... just as bored as I was i spose!